About the College
The College of Dental Hygienists of Prince Edward Island (CDHPEI, the College) is a not-for-profit organization with the legislated mandate to regulate the practice of the profession of dental hygiene for the province of PEI, in the public interest.
The profession of dental hygiene became self-regulated in PEI through the Regulated Health Professions Act and the Dental Hygienists Regulations in early 2023, and the College of Dental Hygienists of PEI was formed. Up to that time, dental hygienists were regulated through the Dental Profession Act. Those who were registered with the Dental Council PEI automatically became registered members of CDHPEI at that time.
The College is responsible for ensuring the mandate as set out in the Regulated Health Professions Act, Regulations and College Bylaws are fulfilled.
The mandate of the College is to:
- Service and protect the public interest;
- Regulate the practice of the profession of dental hygiene in the province;
- Set educational and entry-to-practice professional standards;
- Set continuing education and competency standards;
- Enforce ethical conduct, standards of practice, and continuing education and competency; and
- Investigate complaints against professionals working as dental hygienists in PEI.
The College Council governs, controls, and administers the affairs of the College in accordance with the Regulated Health Professions Act and Regulations. The Council deals with College business through the appointed Registrar.
The CDHPEI Council is made up of seven (7) individuals. The composition of the Council is defined in the Act and CDHPEI Bylaws. The Council includes four (4) registered dental hygienists, two (2) public representatives, and the Registrar who is a non-voting member. The role of the Council is further detailed in the Bylaws. More information