The public is invited to bring forward their concerns regarding dental hygienists in PEI.

Complaints may come forward from patients, patients' family members, or members of the public who believe there has been a breach of ethics or inappropriate care of any kind.

Complaints may also come forward from employers or colleagues of dental hygienists who may be obligated to report their concerns to the College in certain specific circumstances.

The Registrar of the College may also initiate the complaint process.

The College is required under the Regulated Health Professions Act to investigate all complaints about a registrant's practice submitted to the College.

Complaint Process

Complaints must be made in writing and signed by the complainant. Formal complaints cannot be anonymous. The complaint should include the following information:

  • The name and contact information of the person making the complaint;
  • The name and contact information of the patient if different from above;
  • The name of the dental hygienist involved;
  • A detailed description of the concerns, including relevant dates;
  • Any relevant supporting documentation; and
  • Details of any discussion with the dental hygienist about the concern.

After a complaint form is submitted to the College of dental hygienists, the Registrar will review the complaint and may attempt to resolve it informally.

The Registrar may dismiss the complaint or, if the complaint cannot be satisfactorily resolved, forward the complaint to the Investigation Committee. An investigator or investigators will gather information, consider the allegations and the evidence of the complaint, and submit a report to the Investigation Committee. The Investigation Committee consists of at least one Council member and one public representative.

The Investigation Committee may make one of three decisions within 30 days of receiving the file:

  1. Dismiss the complaint,
  2. Forward the complaint to a mediator for mediation, or
  3. Forward the complaint to the hearing committee.

To file a complaint, please use the complaint form.