Becoming a Registered Dental Hygienist in PEI

Information for internationally trained dental hygienists

General information

All dental hygienists working in the province of Prince Edward Island must be registered with the College of Dental Hygienists of PEI (CDHPEI, the College) to legally practise the profession of dental hygiene. Only registered College members are allowed to use the reserved titles Dental Hygienist (DH) or Registered Dental Hygienist (RDH), and their equivalents in French.

The profession of dental hygiene became self-regulated in PEI through the Regulated Health Professions Act and the Dental Hygienists Regulations on March 1, 2023. The practising dental hygienists who were registered with the PEI Dental Council automatically became registered members of the College of Dental Hygienists of PEI at the time it was formed.

There are two registers of dental hygienists in PEI:

  • general register - where most dental hygienists are registered
  • special register - where professionals registered in other regulated Canadian provinces apply to practice in PEI for a limited time and special purpose

General registration requirements

According to PEI's Regulated Health Professions Act, all applicants applying must:

  • Be entitled to work in Canada;
  • Have reasonable proficiency in written and spoken English;
  • Meet education and examination requirements set out in the regulations;
  • Meet requirements concerning the currency of professional knowledge and skills set out in the regulations;
  • Not have been found guilty of an offence that, in the College Council's opinion, renders the applicants unsuitable to practise the regulated health profession; and
  • Not have been disciplined by a professional regulatory body for misconduct, incompetence or incapacity that, in the Council's opinion, renders the applicant unsuitable to practise the regulated health profession.

Professionals registered in regulated Canadian provinces

Under the Canadian Free Trade Agreement (CFTA), regulated professions have mutual recognition of credentials across provinces. This means that a health professional working as a dental hygienist who is registered and in good standing with a College in any other regulated Canadian province, can apply and get registered in PEI upon completion of the CDHPEI Jurisprudence Examination.

Internationally trained professionals

Internationally trained professionals who have not graduated from a Canadian post-secondary educational institution or who have not passed the required exams in a regulated Canadian province must have their professional education assessed.

World Education Services (WES) can evaluate the education and provide a report to the College if the requirements match or are substantially equivalent. A refresher program or a Prior Learning Assessment may be required.

New immigrants to Canada settling in the province of Prince Edward Island can get help from Immigrant & Refugee Services Association PEI (IRSA). Their Employment Assistance Services can help with the qualification recognition process.

Please contact us for more information.